Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Matchless

Author: Jane Candia Coleman
Genre: historical fiction
Publication info: Five Star, 2003
Pages: 247

This is one of those books I probably wouldn't have picked out myself, but it was surprisingly enjoyable. My girlfriend came across it while we were at the library. She read it and loved it and recommended it to me. And I liked it too! Probably not as much as she did, but I still liked it.

Matchless is the story of Augusta Tabor, first wife of H. A. W. Tabor, who was Colorado's "silver king," according to the back cover. It is more or less a true story, based on Augusta Tabor's diaries and correspondence, although the author admits to some creative license.

It is interesting to see the adventures of settling the West through the eyes of a woman, a viewpoint we probably don't get enough of. Augusta's take on things is entirely different from that of Haw, as they call him. She is determined to make the most out of whatever situation she's in, while he is always looking for more, never satisfied. And therein lies the problem.

Ultimately, this novel is less a story about silver mining and taming the frontier of American civilization than it is a story about a failed marriage. And what a spectacular failure it is. The sad part about it is that the failure is largely one-sided. Augusta does all she can to keep the family together, but Haw persists in behaving like a thirteen-year-old in an adult body who ends up with enormous wealth and political sway (why do dumb jerks get so much power so often?). It's a sad story, but it's a rich one.

My one complaint about this book is the spare description. I think I've mentioned before that I am not a fan of extensive description, but I am also not a fan of not enough description. When I read a story or novel, I want a clear sense of where I am. I don't always get that sense in this book. Sometimes the characters go to a place and the narrator describes it as if I'd been there before (in other words, she hardly describes it at all). So it's easy to get disoriented.

But I want to end on a positive note. This book is quite interesting, and I found it easy to immerse myself in it. The novel provides an intriguing look at an interesting period in the country's history.

No comments: